Collingwood Notables Database
Displaying 51 - 75 of 128
Auctioneer, councillor, mayor
W D Holgate was a driving force in the improvement of Clifton Hill in the 1880s, agitating for a railway service, a post office and a police station, building the Albert Hall, and establishing the Clifton Hill Literary Association before being elected to Collingwood council. He did not neglect his own financial welfare, making the most of the boom years for buying and selling property both as an agent and in his own right. He appears to have been a dynamic livewire with a wide range of interests, capable of switching from one career path to another without slowing pace.
Doctor, surgeon, amateur ethnographer, amateur ornithologist
George Horne was a doctor in Queens Parade Clifton Hill and a surgeon at the Women’s Hospital. As well as his busy professional life he immersed himself in studying Aboriginal life and customs, and amassed a significant collection of stone implements and weapons. His book Savage life in Central Australia was regarded as a notable addition to the scientific literature of Australia. Natural history, especially the study of birds, was another of his passions. His obituary described him as ‘a notable figure in the medical and intellectual life of the city’.
Robert Hurst was a successful bootmaker, unusual in that he not only manufactured and imported boots and shoes, but sold them in his own shops. The number one shop was in Smith Street on the corner of Peel Street (demolished) and he had shops in many other suburbs and the city as well as Ballarat and Geelong.
Landowner, subdivider, early settler, pastoralist
Captain Charles Hutton left an enduring legacy in Collingwood, as he was responsible for subdividing land northwards from Victoria Parade as well as building himself a landmark mansion, which survived until the 1920s.
Richard Kefford was the eldest child of a fishmonger in London’s East End. From these humble beginnings the family migrated to Australia where his father became a successful farmer in Nunawading and Richard junior’s entrepreneurial spirit brought him success and led to the founding of a transport empire.
Lay preacher, marriage celebrant, auctioneer
Yorkshire-born Nathaniel Kinsman and his wife Lydia came to Victoria in 1849. After working as an assessor for Melbourne City Council, he set up his own business in Fitzroy. He was at first connected with St Mark’s Anglican Church in Fitzroy, and became associated with the new East Collingwood congregation, eventually known as St Philip’s. There he conducted lay services until he seceded to form the Victorian Free Church of England. He was to become known as ‘The Marrying Vicar’, reportedly officiating at more than 7000 marriages.
Councillor, mayor, waxworks proprietor, modeller
Always formally referred to as Miss Langley throughout her employment, Violet St Clare Langley was matron of the Collingwood Crèche for nine years, from 1889 until 1898. The Crèche was established by the Reverend Dr Charles Strong and his wife Janet to provide a safe affordable place for poor working women of Collingwood to leave their children to be cared for. Matron Langley, known in family circles as Clare or Clara, lived in and had a long working day.
Teacher, nurse, welfare worker
Carpenter, contractor, estate agent, councillor, mayor, Member of Parliament, Protectionist
Langridge will be a name familiar to Collingwood residents, if for no other reason than the existence of the street named after him. Many others will have admired his mansion in North Terrace, Clifton Hill, probably without knowing for whom it was built. They may also have noticed the large building at 64 Smith Street known as Foresters Hall and wondered what the words on the pediment – Court Perseverance - signify. To nineteenth century Collingwoodians, on the other hand, he would have been a household name in his role as councillor, politician, auctioneer, proprietor of the Langridge Mutual Permanent Building Society, and Freemason, not to mention his involvement with local cricketing and football teams. And as he entered the Victorian Government Ministry, eventually acting briefly as Premier, he was known far more widely.
Fruit and vegetable preserver
Ralph Laver was the youngest of a family of seven talented brothers who made their mark on the world in medicine, music, sport and manufacturing. He established himself in Collingwood in 1893, first as a greengrocer and then as a fruit and vegetable canner with his brother, developing a large trade throughout Australia as well as England and China. Laver Brothers also supplied tinned vegetables and fruit for Mawson’s Antarctic Expedition.
Draper, photographer, magistrate
Levens ran a drapery in Wellington Street for many years and was active in the Collingwood community, being appointed an honorary magistrate in 1877 and acting as a member of the Collingwood School Board of Advice in the 1870s and 1880s. At the time of his death he was the oldest justice of the peace in Collingwood.
Doctor of Medicine
Dr A C Livingston was a medical practitioner who also served as the Honorary Officer of Health for the Collingwood municipality from October 1856 until his death in 1884. He was a member of a family whose destiny has been shaped by medicine until the present day. The many generations of doctors and nurses range from his grandfather Dr Alexander Livingston, regimental surgeon in the 73rd Regiment of Foot, to the distinguished Brenan descendants of his brother James Cooper Livingston.
Teacher, child welfare worker, suffragist
The Lynch family lived in Abbotsford for around seventy years. George arrived in Victoria in the 1850s and was an accountant in the Sheriff's department before being appointed deputy sheriff of Victoria, a position he kept until his retirement at the age of 60. Anne Morton came to Australia in 1855, following her brother George Morton whose letters home about life in the colony must have proved enticing. Some of Anne’s letters to England have also been preserved. She was living in Richmond when she met and married George Lynch and bore their first child. The young couple soon moved into a wooden cottage in Victoria Street, Abbotsford and later added a brick villa on their large block.
Carlington George Edmund Marston came from Dublin. He started business as a chemist in 1858 or 1860, renting a shop in Smith Street somewhere between Otter and Stanley streets (numbered 192 at the time). Marston married in 1860 and promptly started a family. Around 1862 he moved to what was then numbered 152 Smith Street (south of Stanley Street). A photograph from this era shows a fine pair of brick two-storeyed shops with residences above, contrasting with what were then the more typical single storey timber shops of Smith Street in its early years.
Artist, diarist, early settler
Georgiana was born in London, the natural daughter of George, marquis of Huntly, (afterwards fifth Duke of Gordon), and Jane Graham. She was well educated and a very talented artist, especially noted for her portraits and miniatures. Following her husband Andrew McCrae, she and her four sons arrived in Melbourne in March 1841. They leased land from Charles Nicholson, who had bought land in the first Collingwood land sales of 1838-39, and had a house built to Georgiana’s design. Her diary, although now known to be not either as forthright or original as once believed, gives us a marvellous insight into Melbourne life in the early years of settlement. In the few years that they resided at Mayfield, we hear of the children’s activities on their nine-acre block, the Aboriginals, the local flora, and riverbank neighbours, such as the Campbells who lived in Campbellfield, the Currs at St Helier’s, and James Simpson at Yarra Grange. The boys had an excellent tutor who interested his young charges in nature study as well as the academic pursuits. Agnes La Trobe, the governor’s daughter, joined the boys for lessons in 1843.
Social activist, councillor and visionary politician
Andrew McCutcheon, a Methodist minister, architect and social activist, played a central role in the politics and development of the City of Collingwood in the 1960s and 1970s. He was a local councillor and mayor in Collingwood before becoming a prominent member of John Cain’s Victorian Labor government in the 1980s.
Footballer, coach, brewery supervisor
James Francis McHale, better known as Jock, remains the most successful coach in the history of the VFL/AFL competition. He coached Collingwood for 38 years (1913-1950) in which time the Club won eight premierships – 1917, 1919, 1927-30, 1935-36. To Collingwood supporters he is still considered the ‘Prince of Coaches’. Over the years his fame as a coach reached legendary status as his love of the Club rubbed off on his players who were ready to ‘run through walls’ for Club and coach. He inspired his teams with an insatiable desire to win. He coached the famous ‘machine’ which won four premierships in a row.
Scottish-born Daniel McKenzie was the incumbent of St George’s Presbyterian Church in Wellington Street Collingwood for 26 years and resided with his wife Helen and family at The Manse in Gold Street Clifton Hill. On first arriving in Australia he took up the ministry at the United Presbyterian Church in Geelong in 1868; during this time the United Presbyterian Church became incorporated with the Presbyterian Church of Victoria. He then went to Footscray in 1872, until in 1878 the congregation of St George’s requested him as their preferred minister.
Draper, poet, temperance advocate
Towards the end of 1880 Melbourne residents were busy anticipating the greatest spectacle their city had yet experienced: the opening of the Melbourne International Exhibition. Cargoes had been arriving from all parts of the world and a grand exhibition hall was under construction. For the opening ceremony the exhibition commissioners specially commissioned a 'solemnly versed and composed cantata'. Public competitions, open to entrants from all the colonies, were held for both the lyrics and musical score. John Meaden, a draper and temperance lecturer from Collingwood, won first prize and 50 guineas for his composition Victoria in which the colony's 'dismal Past' is contrasted with its 'glorious Present’.
Corn and hay merchant
Rees Miller established his hay and corn store on the corner of Wellington and Gipps Street as early as 1861; his eldest son William Rees Miller eventually went into partnership with him, and continued the business after his father’s death.
Moody was the first town clerk of the fledgling East Collingwood Council. Appointed shortly after council was established late in 1855, he received a salary of £200 per annum and served for five years. With his Freemasonry connections he was probably assured of success on his arrival in Victoria in December 1852 with his wife and four children, having left his home in Cheshire. As early as 1853 he was on the committee of the Second Collingwood Equitable Mutual Building Association and therefore had made the acquaintance of influential Collingwood resident Peter John Petherick who was the Secretary. Moody claimed a long involvement with municipal affairs in England, but the fact that one of the council factions was strongly dominated by Freemasons would have been the major factor in his appointment.
Member of Parliament, councillor, pastoralist
Sir Francis Murphy was a well-known member of parliament for over twenty years, lived in Abbotsford for over a decade, and was chairman of the first Collingwood Council.
Farmer, early settler
E B Norton spent only a short time in Melbourne but made his mark in farming, land-owning and subdivision of Yarra Grange on the banks of the Yarra in Abbotsford. The youngest son of the Reverend Eardley Norton, rector of Blythburgh cum Walberswick in Suffolk, he was farming at Elsternwick or East St Kilda shortly after arriving in Melbourne.